Friday, October 5, 2007

The Nanny Diaries by Emma Laughlin and Nicola Kraus

Genre: Fiction - Chick lit
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin, 2003
Other Works: Nanny Returns, Dedication
Flags: Moderate language
Rating: C+, or Could Have Been Worse
Premise: Nan is a student looking for a lucrative job in New York City. She turns to nannying, and finds a whole new world . . .

I picked this book up because I wanted to see the movie. I hate to see a movie that's based on a book if I haven't read the book.

The Nanny Diaires appeals to a wide audience, I think, for one reason: We've all had a dead-end job with a demanding boss we hate, frustrated because we're waiting for life to begin. And this is exactly what's happened with Nan. The authors show a glimpse into a richer-than-any-person-should-concievably-be New York household. The collision of the very different world of Nan, struggling college student, and that of "Mrs. X," double whammy of high-society egocentric snob, produce situations that are both comical and tragic--and infuriating. +/-


The first chapter is my favorite of the novel, as Nan playfully pokes fun at the weathly class's conventions. Unfortunately, I felt the book went downhill from there. Although I was very involved in the story and did enjoy the book, I felt the story weakened with each chapter. The ending was very unsatifying to me, which is perhaps part of the message: the nannying world takes no prisoners and shows no mercy. Not even to those just a few feet tall.

Overall, I did enjoy the book, although I'm not sure I would really recommend it. But, I am satisfied to go the movies now, guilt-free. =)

No comments: