Monday, November 30, 2009

BC Consensus: Thirteenth Tale

Would you like to crème de la crème from our book club dicussions this month? You are in luck! In October, we read Setterfield's The Thirteenth Tale. Here are some of the comments our members made about the book:

“Wow, this story reached out and grabbed me and wouldn't let go, like something that would jump out at me at a haunted house. I liked the mysterious tone of the novel and discovering the story through Vida Winters' narration. I suppose many families have some secrets and a skeleton or two in the closet, but this family had a baker's dozen! I also enjoyed reading this book and plan to reread it in the future. I'm sure it will leave a haunting impression every time.”

“The cover of the book describes this story as "eerie and fascinating". Perfect description. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I enjoyed her [Margaret’s] relationship with her father. They shared a love for books. I tried to picture their little bookshop. How fabulous to grow up among all those stories.” +/-


“I've heard so many good things about this book, and I wasn't disappointed! While I was reading I could tell that there were some things happening behind the scenes that I hadn't quite figured out yet. The suspense and mystery were fun to revel in. I felt like I was trying to solve a mystery. Miss Winter wants Margaret to tell her story and asks her several times what her story is. Margaret always answers that she doesn't have a story. All of our stories (and theirs) are all intertwined with the people around us.”

"I love the character of Vida Winter--someone I could imagine being intimidated by, like our sweet, young Margaret. She jumped off the page, for me. It was as if I could tangibly feel those inescapable, steely green eyes boring into mine as I read. One thing I like about this book is how the title ties in. There’s this expectation build up around the thirteenth tale, and even I found myself wishing I could get my hands on it throughout the story. And then it finally comes out, just when we expect never to be able to know its identity."

No comments: