Sunday, August 10, 2008

Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zahn

My brother insisted that I read this book. He's been a Star Wars fan for many years now, and he loved this book when it first came out back in the early 90s. He practically dared me to read it, so what am I going to do? I took him up on it.

And to my surprise, it was actally a really great book. I enjoyed it thoroughly. The story picks up after the end of the 6th movie. Han Solo and Leia are married, and she is pregnant with twins. Luke is a full-blown Jedi, the last of his kind. Or is he?

The Empire is gaining influence, as a new villian, Grand Admiral Thrawn, emerges. He stirs up trouble, as he negotiates a deal with a forgotten Jedi to begin a new war with the Rebel Alliance. And the Rebel Alliance has its own problems, as fractures occur in leadership. +/-


Han, Luke, and Leia discover that they are being followed and something out there is trying to kidnap them. So, their adventures begin.

I can honestly say that I enjoyed every moment of this book. Zahn combines a good mixture of sci-fi fun with real, down-to-earth characters. And I felt the book followed the same spirit as Lucas's films (the second trilogy, which came first).

And as someone who is not into the gadgets and whats-its of the sci-fi world, I felt Zahn did a beautiful job of making the book fun even for someone who might not be interested in Star Wars at all. So, if you are looking for something great to read that you wouldn't normally pick up--look no further! I might even be tempted enough to read the next one in the series.

No comments: