Friday, October 30, 2009

Jacket Racket: Going Retro

I got recommendations from some friends of older books to revisit. As I was looking around at reviews online, I was really struck with the older cover art. It's funny how certain styles go in and out of fashion. I thought I'd share them with you.

I absolutely love this 60/70s covers for Thomas Hardy's classic Far From the Maddening Crowd! (I also love the book prices . . . hehe). I wish I could get my hands on a copy. Hardy is "hardly" what you would consider retro, so I think it's fun when these book covers are reworked. I found the modern cover below googling around, and I simply adore it. Looks so idyllic and divine. Sigh. Now I just need to read it.




I also really liked these sort of creepy comic-book looking covers for Patricia Highsmith's The Talented Mr. Ripley. They seem so appropriate--complete with floating heads. Love it. It's interesting to see how the more modern versions took a different spin--making it look eerie with black and white and then with inverted colors. Interesting.




No comments: